The history of The Yards is closely linked with that of the neighboring Washington Navy Yard. In fact, that is why this exciting new urban waterfront neighborhood is called The Yards. Formerly known as the Navy Yard Annex, and for a period as the Naval Gun Factory, it is a place of proud industrial and nautical heritage and distinctly DC.
In the early 19th century, the Anacostia riverfront at The Yards was a bustling wharf with ships delivering lumber and other raw building materials to the growing city. North of the wharves, the area now known as The Yards was home to a successful pottery factory, sugar refinery, brewery, and other light industrial businesses. By the mid-1940's the Washington Navy Yard and Navy Yard Annex reached peak production with 26,000 employees in 132 buildings on 127 acres of land.
In 2004, the 42-acre riverfront property site, including several historically protected former-industrial buildings was awarded for redevelopment by the GSA to Forest City Washington. In 2007, construction and redevelopment began on several parcels within The Yards. Initial occupancy of the first phase residential buildings (Foundry Lofts), as well as retail space in 2011.